Apr 21, 2024  
RCC Catalog 2023-2024 
RCC Catalog 2023-2024


About Transferring


RCC students intending to earn a four-year degree from an Oregon public or private university may complete all the lower-division general education requirements at RCC and begin work on the requirements for a specific major.

Students can prepare for transfer majors at RCC where the advantages include smaller classes, lower tuition costs, and teaching excellence. RCC also provides academic support through free tutoring services.

Planning to Transfer

Making a transfer plan early can save time and money. Because the general education and academic major requirements differ at each Oregon university, it is important to identify which courses can be taken at RCC before transferring. Some academic majors may require an early start on mathematics. For other majors, students may need to transfer after one year at RCC in order to take essential lower-division major coursework offered only at the transfer institution.

Core Transfer Map

Core Transfer Maps are broad descriptions of course requirements for students at any Oregon community college or public university. Students who have not yet declared a major and plan to transfer may take classes that fit these categories at any Oregon community college and expect all classes to transfer and meet at least 30 credits of general education requirements for a bachelor’s degree at any Oregon public university.

Transfer Advising

Academic and faculty advisors and counselors are available to assist students in developing educational plans that will meet the requirements of their chosen majors and transfer schools. Additionally, students who may be undecided or undeclared in a major have access to RCC counselors and courses designed to assist them in choosing appropriate majors and careers.

Rogue Community College has developed transfer agreements (articulations), and course equivalences with Oregon Tech, Pacific Northwest College of Arts, Portland State University, Southern Oregon University, University of Phoenix, and Western Governor’s University. The college/university connection offers students the option of earning a two-year degree and the opportunity to enroll in university courses at the same time, easing the transitions to a four-year university.

University Residency Requirements

Students should visit individual university websites to plan their transfer education and to determine residency requirements in place for specific institutions.

Reverse Transfer

Students who earn an associates degree on the way to earning a bachelor’s degree create a faster and more efficient track to baccalaureate achievement. Earning the degree provides an additional credential that makes them more competitive when applying for jobs and scholarships.

Students who transfer to a university or another community college before earning a degree, but after earning a minimum of 24 college-level credits at Rogue Community College, may transfer credits back to RCC. If classes earned elsewhere complete the requirements for an RCC degree, the college will grant it. To find out if you qualify, apply for graduation at Enrollment Services’ Forms for Students page.

Transfer Options

Students attending RCC have several options for transfer to an Oregon public or private university.

Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree (AAOT)

This degree is designed for students planning to complete an associate’s degree before transferring into a bachelor’s degree program at one of Oregon’s public universities.

The AAOT is accepted as a “block transfer” enabling students to enter as juniors with all lower division general education requirements completed. Students may be required to complete additional upper-division general education courses (courses numbered 300-400) at their transfer institutions. The AAOT, however, allows students flexibility in choosing courses to not only meet general education requirements but also courses required in their chosen academic majors.

The AAOT is not always the best choice for all majors. Some students may need to transfer after only one year at RCC in order to take essential lower-division major coursework required for the major that are offered only at the transfer school. Students should consult with their academic advisers for the best option.

The AAOT is generally accepted at selected Oregon private colleges and universities. Students are strongly encouraged to contact the specific transfer school for the most current information.

Associate of Science Oregon Transfer - Business (ASOT)

The Associate of Science Oregon Transfer (ASOT) degree in Business is designed for students transferring into business degree programs at Oregon public universities. The ASOT is accepted at all Oregon public universities as “block transfer,” enabling students to enter a university with junior standing for registration purposes.

Completion of the ASOT does not guarantee admission to a specific business school or program. It is strongly recommended that students make direct contact with their business school or program for advising and admission-specific requirements prior to completing this degree.

Associate of Science Oregon Transfer - Computer Science (ASOT)

The Associate of Science Oregon Transfer - Computer Science degree is designed for students transferring to baccalaureate degree programs in computer science or software engineering. Those completing the ASOT-Computer Science degree are assured junior level standing and will have met the lower division general education requirements of any Oregon public university.

Completion of the ASOT does not guarantee admission to a specific computer science school or program. Students should use the ASOT-Computer Science university-specific degree requirements guide for specific transfer requirements for individual schools. See an adviser for more information.

Associate of Science Specific Program Articulations (AS Degree)

RCC offers the Associate of Science degree in the specific areas listed below. Students completing this degree will have met all lower-division general education and academic major requirements to obtain junior status in specific programs at specific schools. Students are strongly encouraged to work with faculty advisers in these articulated programs to ensure proper academic planning.

  • Business (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Computer and Embedded Systems Engineering Technology (articulated with Oregon Tech)
  • Computer Science (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Cybersecurity (articulated with Oregon Tech)
  • Digital Cinema (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Early Childhood Development (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Education Studies (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Emerging Media and Digital Arts (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Engineering transfer to Oregon Tech: Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, or Renewable Energy (articulated with Oregon Tech)
  • Health and Exercise Science (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Human Services (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Information Technology (articulated with Oregon Tech)
  • Health Informatics (articulated with Oregon Tech)
  • Manufacturing and Engineering Technology (articulated with Oregon Tech)
  • Outdoor Adventure Leadership (articulated with Southern Oregon University)
  • Software Engineering Technology (articulated with Oregon Tech)

Associate of General Studies (AGS)

The Associate of General Studies degree (AGS) offers students a useful alternative for direct transfer. It enables students to complete an associate degree tailored to the general education and academic major requirements of the transfer school. Educational planning for the AGS degree should be done with the assistance of academic advisors or counselors.

Major Transfer Maps - Associate of Arts Transfer, Associate of Science Transfer and Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer

A Major Transfer Map is a course plan for a 90 credit associates degree that, when completed, will allow students to receive junior standing at any Oregon Public University or Community College that offers a bachelor’s degree in the student’s completed degree program. Students can check with their advisors about the availability of any new Major Transfer Maps as they are developed. Currently, Major Transfer Maps have been developed in:

Oregon Transfer Module (OTM)

The Oregon Transfer Module (OTM) provides a one-year curriculum for students who want to transfer to one of Oregon’s public universities prior to completing a two-year degree. Students complete one year of general education courses that will be applied to the transfer university general education and academic major requirements. By fulfilling these requirements and meeting the admission standards of the transfer college, students will qualify for sophomore standing.

Students choosing this transfer option are advised to work closely with their faculty advisors to ensure selection of appropriate courses. Upon transfer, students will be required to complete additional general education and academic major requirements specific to the transfer institution. Students should be aware that if they transfer prior to completing this module, courses will be evaluated individually toward the general education requirements of the university of their choice.

Courses in this module may also be applied to an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree (AAOT) or Associate of Science Oregon Transfer-Business degree (ASOT-Business), thus providing an additional option for students who may start on this track and decide instead to complete a two-year degree.

The Oregon Transfer Module differs from traditional certificates and degrees in that it is a milestone on the path to degree completion and is not eligible for commencement exercises. Such milestones will be noted on students’ transcripts.

Direct Transfer

The direct transfer option is for students who have selected a transfer school and academic major and who want to take specific classes for that major and/or transfer to a university. Direct transfer students will be required to meet the transfer school’s freshman or transfer admission requirements. These will include a minimum transfer GPA, completion of specific courses (e.g., WR 121Z  , MTH 111Z  , etc.), and completion of a certain number of transferable credits. Students who do not meet the transfer student criteria must satisfy the new freshman requirements. Students are advised to visit the transfer school’s website for specific admission requirements. Students who choose the direct transfer option will have RCC courses evaluated and accepted on a course-by-course basis by the transfer institution.

Transfer Agreements

Oregon Tech


Students may transfer to Oregon Tech at any time or complete an Associate of Science following signed agreements between RCC and Oregon Tech. To be considered for transfer admission, students must have 36 college-level credits including WR 115  or higher, MTH 95  or higher with a cumulative GPA of 2.25. Oregon Tech works with Rogue Community College to establish meaningful transfer pathways.

Current articulation agreements can be viewed at the OIT Articulations site.
RCC Transfer to Oregon Tech Guides
Transfer Equivalency Tool
Email outreach@oit.edu for questions about transfer credit.

Pacific Northwest College of Art


Pacific Northwest College of Art is in the process of signing transfer agreements with community colleges throughout the region, potentially allowing their students to enter PNCA as a junior and save up to two years’ worth of tuition costs.

Southern Oregon University


Students earning a degree in areas not covered by an Associate of Science degree have the option of completing all general education coursework at RCC or enrolling at both RCC and Southern Oregon University in their academic major courses. By working with an RCC or SOU adviser, students can design a successful transfer plan. Planning ahead will save students time and money and will provide the opportunity to make a seamless transition to the university. The SOU/RCC joint enrollment program provides many advantages. Joint enrollment means RCC students have access to most SOU facilities, receive coordinated financial aid and admissions, and enjoy eligibility for SOU student or family housing as well as basic health insurance and medical treatment though the SOU Student Health Center. To contact an RCC Advisor by phone, please go to www.roguecc.edu and click on Directory or, contact the SOU Office of Admissions, 541-552- 6411, toll-free at 800-482-7672, or via email at admissions@sou.edu.

Southern Oregon University Bachelor of Applied Science

Southern Oregon University offers a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree in Management for students who have completed an Associate of Applied Science degree in a technical field (in an area outside of business) with a minimum GPA of 2.5 who want to earn a bachelor’s degree. The associate’s degree needs to have at least 50 credits of professional/technical credits, not including business or accounting. Up to 124 quarter hours may be transferred to the BAS, and the remaining credits are completed at SOU. The BAS degree requires the completion of 180 quarter credits. If students intend to transfer to the BAS program, transfer courses should be chosen as program electives where possible. See an adviser for more information or visit SOU’s Degree Completion page.

University of Phoenix


Students transferring to the University of Phoenix with a completed Associate of Arts from RCC will be considered as satisfying their lower division elective and general education requirements While the chosen program pre- requisites and general education requirements will still need to be met, this otherwise makes the student “Required Course of Study” ready at University of Phoenix. Certain specialized programs are excluded. For additional information, contact Laura Beal, University of Phoenix Community Development Manager, at Laura.Beal@phoenix.edu.

Western Governors University


Find WGU Community College transfer information here.


Lane Community College


RCC partners with Lane Community College to provide training for physical therapy assistants in Jackson and Josephine counties.

Students successfully completing the program are awarded an Associate of Applied Science degree by Lane Community College. RCC offers program prerequisites, general education, and related coursework locally, while students access PTA program-specific courses through LCC distance education delivery using Lane Online. The program prepares students to become entry-level physical therapy assistants in a variety of practice settings, and to pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) administered by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy.

Most of the program can be completed locally. Clinical placements in the second year of the program will depend on availability of sites. As such, students may have to travel outside their immediate geographic area to a location in the Pacific Northwest. Click the link for information regarding the Physical Therapy Assistant program.

Linn-Benton Community College


RCC partners with Linn-Benton Community College (LBCC) to provide training for occupational therapy assistants in Jackson and Josephine counties. LBCC’s Occupational Therapy program prepares students to function as entry-level occupational therapy assistants in a variety of settings, and to pass the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy examination. Linn-Benton Community College awards an Occupational Therapy Assistant Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree, with RCC offering program prerequisites, general education classes and related paperwork.

By taking a combination of RCC classes and distance-learning courses offered by LBCC, the OTA program can be completed while a student is living in the Rogue Valley. Students enrolled in the program will need to travel to the LBCC campus in Albany approximately two to four times a term. Click the link for details on the Occupational Therapy Assistant training.